Becoming a Seedster
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO BECOME A SEEDSTER?
- Seedsters must be at least 21 years old.
- Seedsters are required to be independent regarding life/self-care skills (i.e. toileting, dressing, feeding, be mobile enough to get on and off a van, walk distances on field trips, etc.).
- Seedsters are required to be able to follow basic verbal instructions and participate in activities with minimal assistance from staff.
- Seedsters are required to be mature enough to be able to interact appropriately with other Seedsters, as well as volunteers and staff, and be able to flourish in both big and small group settings.
- Seedsters’ physical, cognitive, and medical needs must be manageable enough to not require one-on-one assistance or exceed our ideal 8:1 client to staff ratio. They must be able to initiate and complete tasks independently.
- Entrance interview is required. Once a client is accepted, he or she will go through a 90-day trial period, at which point he or she will be evaluated
We do not currently offer end-of-life care.
- The Mustard Seed Day Program is open from 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
- The typical Monday through Thursday schedule is as follows:
8:30 to 9:00 – Arrival
9:00 to 9:30 – Devotion
9:30 to 10:30 – Ceramic painting time
10:30 to 11:00 – Snack/Break time
11:00 to 12:00 – Ceramic painting time
12:00 to 1:30 – Lunch/Rest time
1:30 to 2:30 – Ceramic painting time
2:30 to 3:00 – Snack/Break time
3:00 to 4:00 – Ceramic painting time
4:00 to 4:30 – Clean up time
(Our general schedule and amount of paint time varies depending on other activities, such as classes, exercise, swimming, volunteer groups, devotion, etc.)
- The Mustard Seed follows the Rankin County School District closures regarding inclement weather.
- The Mustard Seed observes the following holidays: New Year’s Day, the Friday before and the Monday after Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July (when it falls on a weekday), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after, and Christmas.
WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES ARE OFFERED AT THE MUSTARD SEED?
- “Fun Friday” field trips (going out to eat, going to movies, miniature golf, baseball games, museums, bowling, scavenger hunts, and a variety of other fun outings)
- Classes on a variety of subjects Seedsters have expressed interest in: Language classes such as Spanish, German, French, and Sign Language; History classes such as Sports History, Entertainment History, U.S. History, Church History, etc.; Bible, Canvas Painting, Cooking, Science, Woodworking, Puppets, Zumba and other exercise classes, etc.
"...if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain,
'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." - Matthew 17:20
MAIN CAMPUS & GIFT SHOP
1085 Luckney Road, Brandon, MS 39047
Gift Shop Hours
Monday-Friday 9:00am-4:00pm & Second Saturdays 10:00am-3:00pm
. . . . .
RIDGELAND GIFT SHOP
(601) 992-3556 Ext. 120
115 N. Wheatley Street, Ridgeland, MS 39157
Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm & First Saturdays 10:00am-3:00pm